We are pleased to present a Dhamma series based on a Sutta which is rarely discussed. The sutta is the 11th of a group of suttas categorized as Lona Phala Vagga in Anguttara Nikaya, Tika Nipatha. These suttas don’t have individual names other than the group name. However, for ease of recognition it was termed as Adhi Chitta Sutta by Most Ven. U. Dhammajiva Maha Thero when he delivered the series at Mitirigala Nissaranavanaya Monastery.
This Sutta would provide various guidelines to practitioners who have strived for some years without gaining a satisfactory result.
In this Sutta the Lord Buddha provides valuable advice to those who practice Samatha and Vipassana. The Buddha used the term Adhi Chitta Manuyuktha when referring to the practice of those who have developed Samatha and/or Vipassana path for some time. The Buddha advised them to contemplate (and develop) three areas from time to time. These are Samadhi, Effort and Upekka (Equanimity). The development and balancing of these three areas are needed to reach the fruition of Samatha and Vipassana.
It is advisable to first read the Sutta from Tripitaka. We are pleased to provide a PDF of the Sutta from Buddha Jayanthi Tripitaka. Please click here to download the PDF of the Sutta.
To listen directly: Please left click on the link to listen directly. Once the link is clicked, you will be directed to a separate page containing the talk. Usually the file starts to play in that window. If it doesn’t you could highlight the browser window and click ‘reload this page’. It will start to play.
To download: You could download the file by right clicking on the link and then selecting “save as” from the drop down menu.
- 01 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Q&A 01
- 02 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Dhamma Talk 01
- 03 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Interview 01
- 04 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Dhamma Talk 02
- 05 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Q&A 02
- 06 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Dhamma Talk 03
- 07 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Interview 02
- 08 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Dhamma Talk 04
- 09 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Q&A 03
- 10 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Dhamma Talk 05
- 11 RET 77 Adhichitta Sutta_Dhamma Talk 06