A new series on Kayagatasati Sutta during One Day Retreats was started at Nissaranavanaya monastery by Ven. Panadure Chandaratana Thero on 05 August 2017. One Day Retreat series is conducted by Ven. Panadure Chandaratana Thero and this is the second sutta of the series.
Kayagatasati Sutta outlines the development of mindfulness through observing and contemplating the body. The Kayagatasati sutta stresses the need for constant awareness of the body’s positions, “When walking, the monk discerns, ‘I am walking.’ When standing, he discerns, ‘I am standing.’ When sitting, he discerns, ‘I am sitting.’ When lying down, he discerns, ‘I am lying down’. The Sutta also outlines the practice of “reflections on repulsiveness of the body” (Patikulamanasikara).
The Sutta then explains the attainment of the first four rupa Jhanas, states of calm concentration reached through meditation.
Finally, the Sutta outlines the ten benefits of these practices which are as follows:
- Conquering displeasure & delight.
- Conquering fear & dread.
- Resistance to temperature, pain and the elements.
- Attainment of the four Jhanas.
- “Manifold supranormal powers” (ex. walking on water, walking through walls)
- Supernatural hearing.
- Psychic powers – knowing the “awareness of other beings”.
- Recollection of past lives.
- Seeing “by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human”.
Please click below to reach the text of the sutta from Thripitakaya.org;
The next one day retreat will be conducted on 11 November 2017. It will commence at 7.20 am with observing the 8 precepts. The Yogis will be provided with Lunch and evening Tea. Breakfast will not be provided.
To listen directly: Please left click on the link to listen directly. Once the link is clicked, you will be directed to a separate page containing the talk. Usually the file starts to play in that window. If it doesn’t you could highlight the browser window and click ‘reload this page’. It will start to play.
To download: You could download the file by right clicking on the link and then selecting “save as” from the drop down menu.
- 01. Kāyagatāsati Sutta – Q&A 071_05-08-201
- 02. Kāyagatāsati Sutta – Dhamma Talk 01_Ānāpānasati 01_05-08-2017
- 03. Kāyagatāsati Sutta – Q&A 02_02-09-2017
- 04. Kāyagatāsati Sutta – Dhamma Talk 02_Iriyāpatha_02-09-2017
- 05. Guided Mindfulness in Sitting_07-10-2017
- 06. Kāyagatāsati Sutta – Q&A 03_07-10-2017
- 07. Kāyagatāsati Sutta – Dhamma Talk 03_Sampajañña_07-10-2017
To be continued monthly……