Chachakka Sutta was the focus of the Dhamma sermons at the 98th residential meditation retreat conducted at Mitirigala Nissaranavanaya Monastery by Most Ven. U. Dhammajiva Maha Thero. It was the second time this invaluable Sutta was taken up by the Maha Thero with the course of a few months.
Such a value was given to this Sutta even during ancient times due to its remarkable ability to uplift the listeners and practitioners to the higher Ariya states. The following from our Sri Lankan Commentaries (අටුවාව) set a good explanation regarding the value of this Sutta.
The Chachakka Sutta closes with a remark on its efficacy: sixty monks became Arahants after listening to its teachings. The Commentary adds that this first teaching of the Sutta by the Buddha is nothing spectacular. For, besides these sixty, who were fully awakened when the Buddha first gives its teachings, but also on each occasion of its teaching by Ven. Sariputta, Ven. Moggallāna, or the eighty great elders, a like number attains Arahanthood. According to Sinhala legend, the Ven. Maliyadeva taught the Sutta at six different places, and sixty monks became arahants (Mahv 262). Once, after that, when the Ven. Tipitaka Cūḷanāga taught it at the Ambilahāla Vihāra (in Sri Lanka) to humans and gods, a thousand monks became arahants and among the gods, only one remained a world ling (MA5:103).
According to an explanation given by Bhikku Bodhi, this Sutta is a key to helping the Yogi to release Ego identification. It helps us to realize the truth about how the process of our existence actually works. It is very clear in this description of what is actually happening.
Chachakka Sutta is from Majjhima Nikaya, Upari Pannasaka, Salayatana Vagga of Tripitaka. We are pleased to provide a PDF of the Sutta from Buddha Jayanthi Tripitaka. Please click here to download the PDF of the Sutta.
Also included next is a link to the webpage of the Sutta from Bhikku Bodhi in English. Please click here to reach that web page.
To listen directly: Please left click on the link to listen directly. Once the link is clicked, you will be directed to a separate page containing the talk. Usually the file starts to play in that window. If it doesn’t you could highlight the browser window and click ‘reload this page’. It will start to play.
To download: You could download the file by right clicking on the link and then selecting “save as” from the drop down menu.
- 01 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 01_13-07-2015
- 02 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 01_13-07-2015
- 03 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 02_14-07-2015
- 04 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 02_14-07-2015
- 05 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 03_15-07-2015
- 06 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 03_15-07-2015
- 07 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 04_16-07-2015
- 08 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 04_16-07-2015
- 09 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 05_17-07-2015
- 10 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 05_17-07-2015
- 11 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 06_19-07-2015
- 12 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 06_19-07-2015
- 13 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 07_20-07-2015
- 14 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 07_20-07-2015
- 15 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Q&A 08_21-07-2015
- 16 RET 98 Chachakka Sutta_Dhamma Talk 08_21-07-2015